Civilization 5 on Ubuntu

September 25, 2010

I’ve been a die hard Civilization fan ever since Civilization II (and I made the jump from Colonization). I have therefore been waiting for Civilization V with anticipation. Yesterday the waiting was finally over!

I tried it this morning using Wine on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and it would not start. Rather than mess around I took the plunge and updated to the new Ubuntu 10.10 Beta (Maverick Meerkat), which I’ve been meaning to do anyway. On 10.10 it works “out of the box”. Just for the proof, here are some screenshots!

Here is Steam running under Wine 1.2 on Ubuntu 10.10:

Here is the actual game play. The graphics are pretty bad, but this is on my underpowered laptop! You can see that it is perfectly acceptable for on the move:

I suspect that it started working because of a later version of Wine, so if you are not yet ready to put Ubuntu 10.10 on your system then follow Installing the latest Wine on Ubuntu to get Wine 1.2. Please post a comment with your experiences getting it to work, and whether you’ve been successful or not!

tags: ,
posted in Linux by admin

Follow comments via the RSS Feed | Leave a comment | Trackback URL

14 Comments to "Civilization 5 on Ubuntu"

  1. mtx wrote:

    Hi there,

    i installed brand new Civ5 on Wine (Ubuntu 10.04) from CD (Steam needed to launch) – no problems, I was positively surprised that it works fine on Linux!

    Few minor issues encountered:
    – audio disables randomly during gameplay (restart of game is needed)
    – sometimes, when on diplomacy screen, instead of graphics black screen shows with buttons only.

    Overall i was rather disappointed with game graphics, but as you write it’s rather fault of poor hardware + on linux i was able to use DIrectx 9 only – DX11 improves game graphics A LOT.
    Last to speak, I tried this game on windows XP with directx9 and actually it works worse than on Ubuntu! :)

  2. admin wrote:

    @mtx I haven’t experienced any sound issues or the diplomacy glitch myself.

    I played a couple of games on my Win7 box. It looks fantastic, but both times it randomly crashed out :( Like you I’m getting a better experience under Ubuntu than Windows!! :)

  3. RedMango wrote:

    Very nice post!

  4. badmash wrote:

    I just signed up to your blogs rss feed. Will you post more on this subject?

  5. admin wrote:

    @badmash – I’ve got plenty more on the way :)

  6. jjh wrote:

    Graphics are like that because of your using directx 9 not 10/11

  7. Ali wrote:

    How do you guys make it work ? it wont work on mine, i click play civ 5, but it keeps saying preparing to launch, then says it encountered an error, PLZ HELP!!

  8. lds wrote:

    I’m in the same boat as Ali. Steam says “Preparing to launch…” and then nothing. I’m not getting an error message but the app isn’t running. :(

  9. lds wrote:

    By the way, I’m running 10.10 with Wine 1.2.2.

  10. admin wrote:

    Guys … I fired Civ5 up this evening on an up to date Ubuntu 10.10 and Wine 1.2.2, and it worked fine. A couple of things:

    1) Make sure you have your audio set up within the Wine configuration tool. I’ve set mine to ALSA, and that works in game.
    2) Leave the “Preparing to launch…” at least a few minutes before giving up – sometimes it takes a while, although the game itself is fine

  11. Ali wrote:

    i don’t know just wont work

  12. Ali wrote:

    wait, now the preparing to launch works and the thing shows up and the preparing to launch goes away, but the game itself is always not responding and doesn’t even open it all, so help please ?

  13. Forrest wrote:

    I’m also having difficulties with steam/civ 5. I have it downloaded, but when I try to launch it, it just thinks for a while and nothing happens. If I open steam and press “play” there, it gives me an “Incomplete installation of Sid Meier’r Civilization 5 (2)” message.

    From reading other forums, it seems this may be a problem with where steam/civ 5 are located.

    I’m very new to Ubuntu (like, 4 days), and, having always used macs, I’ve never had to think about these things before.

    Does anyone have any advice?

    Thanks

  14. Justsomeguy wrote:

    Ok, this is the first I have heard of civ5 running on Ubuntu and I am stoked! I am currently building a machine from scratch for optimal compatibility with Ubuntu and was debating on dual boot just for this game. However, if wine will do the trick FaReekin AWESOME!!! You say 10.10, but I was planning on running 11.4… Good, bad, or Ugly? At any rate I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Leave Your Comment

 
Powered by Wordpress and MySQL. Theme by Shlomi Noach, openark.org